Ingredients (2 quinoa bowls):
- thawed chicken breast
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 1 can drained black beans
- baby spinach, washed
- mexican blend cheese
- red pepper hummus (optional)
- pink himalayan salt
- extra virgin olive oil
- taco seasoning
Most of these ingredients are staples of my diet. Actually as I’m reading back over them all of them are. These faithful friends are always in my fridge and always a go to that I mix and match for various recipes as I try to cook healthy for one on a small budget.
Out of creativity or desperation (I’ll let you decide), I ended up throwing them all together and my quinoa bowl has become a staple meal for me!
Here’s how to make it!
- Run quinoa under cold water in a mesh drainer. (Actually do this or it cooks weirdly. Trust me.)
- Boil 2 cups of water for the quinoa. Grab a pot that you know where the lid is, because that will help. Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil and a little pink himalayan salt.
- When water comes to a boil (I honestly never wait that long) add the quinoa. Leave on medium heat until it’s boiling like it means it.
- In a frying pan, add a tablespoon of coconut oil and turn to medium heat. When coconut has softened, distribute evenly in the pan and add 2tsp of taco seasoning (half the packet- who has time to measure?). Place chicken breast in the middle of the frying pan.
- Drain black beans and place in small pot. Turn to medium heat. Stir occasionally.
- By now your quinoa should be boiling. Give it a good stir and put the lid on if you haven’t already.
- Flip chicken and begin chopping into small chunks (sorry that’s a gross word) as it cooks. (I use a wooden spatula for this.)
- While everything is cooking and you’re feeling like you run the world, get out your bowls. I like to use large glass ones. Go ahead and grab and rinse your spinach from the refrigerator and get your salsa, hummus, and cheese nearby.
- Stir and turn your chicken, quinoa, and black beans.
- Once cooked, scoop quinoa into bowls then diced chicken, then black beans.
- Top with spinach, salsa, and hummus (if you’d like).
- Open a cold Lime La Croix and enjoy!
Also if you’re cooking for one like me, I make my quinoa bowl then place the rest in containers to make a quinoa bowl another day. You can also use the leftover black beans to throw on a salad with your spinach or have quinoa on the side with some chicken and veggies.